Cup no image

Published on July 25th, 2008 | by Michael J Smith


It's Official: Stewart To Drive The No. 14 With Old Spice, Office Depot

It’s official, Tony Stewart will run the No. 14 Old Spice/Office Depot Chevy for Stewart Haas Racing in the Sprint Cup series in 2009, ending months-long speculation about the sponsors and number of his new team.

Office Depot will have a 60 percent share of sponsorship, while Old Spice will have the other 40 percent.

Stewart, who has always admired AJ Foyt, picked the number because Foyt made it famous in his career in open-wheel racing.

Stewart said:

A.J. has always been my hero and will always be No. 1 on my hero list, with the best part being that we are really good friends. We obviously have a tremendous amount of respect for one another. I remember him calling me after I won my first Cup championship in 2002 and I remember how much it meant to have him call that night and congratulate me. We really do have similar pasts and carry a lot of characteristics that are the same. He is one of the greatest icons in racing worldwide and to be compared to him in any way is always a huge honor.

In a possibly related story, Ryan Newman said he has selected which team he plans to drive for in 2009. He offered no indication of which team it will be, and said that it is just a matter of getting the paperwork finalized.

No word on when an announcement is expected.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Michael J. Smith is a NASCAR enthusiast and blogger. In addition to founding this website, Michael is a journalist with over a decade of experience writing for prestigious media organizations.

5 Responses to It's Official: Stewart To Drive The No. 14 With Old Spice, Office Depot

  1. nascarnovice says:

    Who is your guess?

  2. leadlap says:

    My guess is that he goes to Stewart Haas Racing.

  3. Pingback: Tony Stewart is Orchestrating NASCAR’s Twilight Zone

  4. Pingback: Fantasy Follow-Up: Pocono · Sports Guru

  5. Pingback: Lead Lap Turns One Year Old « The Lead Lap

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

Back to Top ↑